Hi SAM Members
It was the virtual SAM Committee meeting on Wednesday this week. Here is a summary of what was discussed and a few reminders for you – our very valued members.
1. IAM RoadSmart Membership
All SAM members will have received a new membership card from IAM RoadSmart. Receiving your card is a reminder that you have to pay the annual IAM RoadSmart fee to remain a member of SAM. Our Membership Secretary checks that ALL SAM members have paid their IAM membership fee by looking on the new DARTS computer system.
We know that many of us are not able to ride right now and it may seem an unnecessary fee for a reduced service. But IAM RoadSmart is still open and offering the best service possible to its members. So, thank you for your continued support.
2. SAM annual Club Subscriptions
Because the SAM Club has not been able to offer the usual services to our members and your prior support means your Club has good financial reserves, we are considering not asking you to pay your Club fee (£12) this year. A final decision will be made at the next SAM Committee meeting. What are your thoughts? Send them to email@example.com.
3. SAM Committee Meeting Minutes
SAM Committee meetings are held on the last Wednesday of each month. The meeting schedule is published on the SAM Calendar on your SAM Club website. For some years now the SAM Committee meeting minutes have been published to SAM Committee members only. It was reasoned that, as elected Club officials it is our job to run the club and if any member wanted to read meeting minutes they simply had to ask. The SAM Committee would like to know your thoughts on making the meeting minutes available on the SAM website for any member who wants to read them? As the meeting minutes are approved at the next meeting, they would inevitably be two months later. However, members are encouraged to send any items they would like discussed, at least a week before the next meeting, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also send your thoughts on publishing the SAM Committee meeting minutes to the same email address.
4. New Associates
We have a number of new associates waiting for First Ride Assessments and allocation to Observers. We might be locked down but we are NOT closed down, so bikers in our region can still sign up for an advanced rider course and we will get back riding as soon as it is possible to do so.
5. SAM helps out West Yorkshire Advanced Motorcyclists (WYAM)
The WYAM Committee reached out to SAM and other advanced motorcycling groups to help progress their development as an IAM RoadSmart Group. The SAM Committee provided practical help in radio training, interim secretarial support and help with building a new website. We gave our support to the WYAM Group from August to December 2020. Support for the new website is ongoing at present, so take a look and send any thoughts you may have to email@example.com.
Finally, the SAM Committee sends our very best wishes to all our members, their families and friends. If there is any way in which you think that the SAM Club can help to make life a little happier, or your struggles a little easier, just let us know. If it’s possible, we’ll be happy to see what we can do.
Take care and stay safe
(on behalf of the SAM Committee)
Sheffield Advanced Motorcyclists
Charity no. 1089671
IAM Group no. 4152
- Next SAM Committee Meeting: TBA
- Next SAM Club Night: TBA
- Gift Aid Form: Gift Aid allows UK charities to claim back the basic rate tax already paid on donations. This means we can claim back from the government on your behalf 25p for every £1 donated, boosting the value of the donation by a quarter. Use this link to fill in the form on the SAM website and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not getting your SAM emails? If any member is NOT getting SAM Club emails, first check your junk folder, then send a request to email@example.com. Pass on this message to any members who are complaining about not getting their SAM Club emails.
- Changing your email address: If you change your email address then let me know so that we can keep you informed of all the exciting things happening in your club.
- IAM RoadSmart member discounts: SAM members, are you making the most of your IAM RoadSmart membership? There are lots of discount savings that can offset your IAM RoadSmart and SAM membership fees, so grab a bargain TODAY!
- Share with your friends: Know someone who is interested in biking? Why not share this SAM Update and help them to become an advanced rider too.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.